Re: Shaping characters in upright orientation in vertical text flow

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 23:37:20 -0500
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Cc: "public-i18n-bidi@w3.org" <public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>, "'WWW International' (www-international@w3.org)" <www-international@w3.org>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Koji Ishii scripsit:

> Currently, the spec states "Shaping characters from such scripts are
> shaped in their isolated forms." This is primarily from fantasai's
> investigations.

That's what I would expect to see in handwritten Latin glyphs written
vertically -- the isolated form would be used, with no connections to
the logically adjacnent glyphs.  Shaping, after all, is about physical
adjacency, not logical.

And through this revolting graveyard of the universe the muffled, maddening
beating of drums, and thin, monotonous whine of blasphemous flutes from
inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond Time; the detestable pounding
and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic
tenebrous ultimate gods --the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul
is Nyarlathotep. (Lovecraft)   John Cowan  cowan@ccil.org