Re: Shaping characters in upright orientation in vertical text flow

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 23:37:20 -0500
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Cc: "public-i18n-bidi@w3.org" <public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>, "'WWW International' (www-international@w3.org)" <www-international@w3.org>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Koji Ishii scripsit:

> Currently, the spec states "Shaping characters from such scripts are
> shaped in their isolated forms." This is primarily from fantasai's
> investigations.

That's what I would expect to see in handwritten Latin glyphs written
vertically -- the isolated form would be used, with no connections to
the logically adjacnent glyphs.  Shaping, after all, is about physical
adjacency, not logical.

--
And through this revolting graveyard of the universe the muffled, maddening
beating of drums, and thin, monotonous whine of blasphemous flutes from