RE: Draft for review: Personal names around the world

Hi.
> Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 14:03:25 +0200
> From: gunnar@bittersmann.de
> To: www-international@w3.org
> Subject: Re: Draft for review: Personal names around the world
>
> I’m afraid I can’t keep my promise to shut up.
>
> Section To split or not to split? requires to “try to avoid using the
> labels ‘first name’ and ‘last name’ in non-localized forms”. The graphic
> (‘First M Last’) on the right side under the heading Implications for
> field design
> [http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names#fielddesign] breaks
> that very rule.
>
> Don’t give a bad example, at least not uncommented. Put a big red X over
> this sample form, or drop the graphic.
>Absolutely.  This is probably a good idea; people reading this stuff in a hurry may miss that this is an example of something that won't work.
>
> The question reads “the design of forms, ontologies, etc.” while it is
> “the design of forms and databases” for the intended audience and
> “create web forms, databases, or ontologies” under Background.
>
> IMHO databases are a more common use case, so if you’re gonna keep the
> question short, you might use “databases” instead of “ontologies” in the
> question (and in the meta description).
> I did not have a problem with this introduction,"People who create web forms, databases, or ontologies are often unaware how different people’s names can be in other countries. They build their forms or databases in a way that assumes too much on the part of foreign users"
even though it begins with "web forms, databases, or ontologies" and then chooses to focus on "forms or databases" and then in the next section, "Scenarios," only forms are mentioned and then later in "Implications for Field Design," forms and databases are mentioned but no longer ontologies -- maybe because I am a native speaker of English the fact that the writer chose to hone in on the forms and databases after alluding to all three seemed o.k. with me.>
> To be consistent with the identifiers in the name schemes, you might
> rename 'given-patronymic-family' to 'givenName-patronymic-familyName'.
> ? 'givenName-patronymicName-familyName' ??
>
> Shift the space in 'her<span lang="es" xml:lang="es"> apellidos</span>'
> to 'her <span lang="es" xml:lang="es">apellidos</span>'.
>
> BTW, wouldn’t it be appropriate to have ‘apellidos’ in italics not just
> on the first occurrence, but on every? I.e. '<i class="foreign"
> lang="es" xml:lang="es">apellidos</i>' instead of '<span lang="es"
> xml:lang="es">apellidos</span>'?
> This is "Inheritance of Names," par 2.This looks o.k. to me; in some customs the first introduction of a foreign word or technical term is italicized; others are not.(It's been defined here so that's enough for me at least.)
Best,
--C. E. Whiteheadcewcathar@hotmail.com