Re: Proposal: Input Method Editor API

From: (wrong string) 坊野 博典 <hbono@google.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:55:05 +0900
To: Ed <ed.trager@gmail.com>
Cc: www-international@w3.org
Greetings Ed,

Thank you for your great feedback.

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Ed <ed.trager@gmail.com> wrote:

> (1) I have a question: What if the IME is itself written in Javascript?
>
> I ask this because your proposal appears to assume that the IME is an
> operating-system-based IME. Often that is the case, of course.
> However, one should also consider the possibility of a
> Javascript-based IME in which the controlling IME code and data both
> originate from a network URL resource (I have been working on exactly
> such a Javascript-based IME system).

In my honest opinion, I would love to make this API cover
JavaScript-based IMEs as well as system IMEs, i.e. web applications
can control JavaScript-based IMEs with this IME API as well as they
can control system IMEs with it. Nevertheless, I need help to figure
out this API is good for JavaScript-based IMEs because I'm a browser
engineer and do not have so much knowledge about JavaScript-based
IMEs.

> In any case, it makes a lot of sense to me to be able to control an
> IME as your document suggests.

Thank you so much for this encouraging comment.

> (2) Secondly, a comment: The "informational" part of your document
> suggests that IMEs are just for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. While
> IMEs are of course critical for those scripts, there are additional
> use cases where an "IME" of one sort or another is quite useful, so
> you might consider mentioning some non-CJK use cases.

It makes sense. I will add some non-CJK use cases (including yours) in
the next version.

Regards,

Hironori Bono
E-mail: hbono@google.com