Re: For review: 6 new and 2 updated articles about character encoding

From: Gunnar Bittersmann <gunnar@bittersmann.de>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:36:43 +0200
To: www-international@w3.org
I finally got through the last two of the articles, so here we go.

http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-html-encoding-declarations.en.php#quick
under XHTML 1.x served as XML:

despite the already reported encoding pseudo-attribute:

“Ensure there is nothing before it, including spaces.”

Hm, a BOM might occur befor the XML declaration. Should that be
mentioned in that place?

There’s a '?' missing in the XML declaration, make it:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-html-encoding-declarations.en.php#httpheadwhat
under Disadvantages:

“…on the server - especially when dealing…”

Use a dash, not a hyphen: on the server – especially when dealing

http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-html-encoding-declarations.en.php#xmldeclaration
under Using the XML declaration for XHTML served as HTML:

“This would make the top of the above file look like this:”

This is confusing to me. What above file? That one that was encoded in
UTF-8?

Proposal: This would make the top of a file look like this:

In the code example:

Capitalize ISO-8859-1 (for consistency reasons). It is in capitals in
the next code example in the article and in the IANA registry.

Close the 'meta' element with '/>':

***

http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-choosing-encodings#avoid

“Documents should not use UTF-32, […]
The specification also advises against the use of UTF-32.”

Duplicate content.

I somehow miss the advice against a BOM in UTF-8. (The Dreamweaver
screenshot even shows the option “Include Unicode Signature (BOM)”.) Is
it out of the scope of this article?

Gunnar