Re: For review: 6 new and 2 updated articles about character encoding

From: Gunnar Bittersmann <gunnar@bittersmann.de>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 00:11:46 +0200
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
CC: www-international@w3.org
Leif Halvard Silli scripsit (2010-08-16 22:52+02:00):
> You don't say why one should advice to always close CSS character
> escapes with a space.

If one always closes CSS character escapes with a space, one does not
have to think about whether the space may be left out or not.

'.\E9 motion': the space may be left out: '.\E9motion'.
'.\E9 dition': the space must not be left out ('.\E9dition' would be the
same as '.\E9D ition')

Now I get it why Richard uses émotion vs. édition.

I would do it the other way around: Introduce CSS escapes beginning with
'\' and ending with space, then mention that under certain circumstances
the space may be omitted but sould not.

(Analog to HTML escapes beginning with '&' and ending with ';', under
certain circumstances the ';' may be omitted but should not.)

Gunnar

PS: Maybe it was not the best idea to give the space different meanings
in CSS: descendant combinator 'foo bar'; escape delimiter; just space
'foo + bar { baz: quz }'.