Re: For review: Using <b> and <i> tags

From: Gunnar Bittersmann <gunnar@bittersmann.de>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 12:48:48 +0200
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
CC: www-international@w3.org
Hi Richard,
you’re saying “<b> and <i> tags” while actually talking about b and i
_elements_.

HTML 4.01 spec, section 3.2.1 says: “*Elements are not tags.* Some
people refer to elements as tags (e.g., "the P tag"). Remember that the
element is one thing, and the tag (be it start or end tag) is another.”
[http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2.1]

See also
[http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200508/html_tags_vs_elements_vs_attributes/],
[http://annevankesteren.nl/2004/05/tags-vs-elements],
[http://lachy.id.au/log/2004/12/html-tags].

I know that some people treat tags and elements as synonyms, but
articles like yours shold not support inaccurate usage of these terms.

IMHO the distinction between tags and elements is not less important
than the distinction between character encoding and character set.
Inaccurate of the terms leads to confusion.

I propose to replace any occurrence of “tag” with “element”.

Regards,
Gunnar