RE: For review: Using <b> and <i> tags

Hi!  I completed a 'comments' form online; perhaps I should have emailed to the whole list

for the article at:

http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-b-and-i-tags

I.  General
"Of course they could also have used span tags instead of the i or b. The difference would be that there would be no fallback to italics or bold in the absence of style rules."
Thanks for this comment -- this is important still!  Thanks!

* * *

II.  Grammar
answer par 2
"You should not use b and i tags if there is a more descriptive and relevant tag available.
If you do use them, it would usually be better to add class attributes that describe the intended meaning of the markup, so that you can distinguish one use from another. "

{ COMMENT on Grammar:  verb tense:  in the ""if clause," "do" is in the present tense; however would is in the conditional tense;
normally with an "if" clause in the present tense the verb in the other clause is either in the present or future tense.
=>
"If you do use them, it is usually better to add class attributes that describe the intended meaning of the markup, so that you can distinguish one use from another. "

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead

cewcathar@hotmail.com