Re: Armenian numbering: findings, recommendations and request to CSS

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 12:05:09 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org

At 19:58 13/02/2009, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>(...)
>The fact is that the list-style-types have sofar almost only been
>used in lists. As user agent gets better support for generated
>content and so one, one will be wanting to use it for more things.
>(...)
>The Amaya editor can renumber HTML headers, by directly inserting
>numbers as text into each header. Another way is to use CSS via
>generated content. The latter method is definitely a way that is
>being promoted for this usecase. But I also like the Amaya method.
>At least this shows that it is not very obvious whether the
>enumeration should belong to CSS or HTML.

Is it really a good idea to generate heading numbers through CSS?
It's very convenient for authors, but heading numbers are not really
a styling aspect (as opposed to content). As far as I know, screen
readers don't pick up heading numbers generated through CSS.
(This is not surprising: CSS 2.1 says: "Generated content does not
alter the document tree. In particular, it is not fed back to the
document language processor (e.g., for reparsing)."
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#content>. The CSS 2.0 spec
said the same thing, at
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/generate.html#content>. Of course, the
fact that IE 5 through 7 didn't/don't support generated content with
counter increments
[<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc351024(VS.85).aspx#generated>]
didn't help either, because IE is what most screen reader users use.)

Best regards,

Christophe Strobbe

--
Christophe Strobbe