Re: Updated tests & results: Language declarations

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:23:50 +0200
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
CC: www-international@w3.org

Richard Ishida 2008-08-15 13.06:

> http://www.w3.org/International/tests/sec-lang-decl-0
> http://www.w3.org/International/tests/results/results-lang-declaration
> These tests examine whether language information is available
> for text processing when declared in various different ways.

> I would welcome reports of findings for major browsers on Mac
> and Linux platforms. [...]

I tried to take the test which determines "whether language
information is picked up from the Content Language meta element".

The page says about the source code of that page that «A meta
statement appears in the head element as follows: <meta
http-equiv="Content-Language" content="ko"/>.»

However, when I examine the source code, then there isn't any such
  meta element.

You also said that

> None of the user agents tested was able to detect language
> declared in the meta tag

However, this is not my experinse. Some UAs will detect the
language of the meta tag. Some might even attach several languages
  at once, as I remember, if the META specifies several languages.

But we can discuss this when the test cas is updated or clarified,
in case I misunderstood something ...
leif halvard silli