W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > July to September 2008

RE: Updated tests & results: Language declarations

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:17:25 +0100
To: "'Leif Halvard Silli'" <lhs@malform.no>
Cc: <www-international@w3.org>
Message-ID: <007001c8fee1$a4e09ee0$eea1dca0$@org>

Leif,

Many thanks for spotting this important error.  I have corrected the test page (and checked the others), rerun the tests and updated the results page.  Because this casts in doubt the findings of the earlier tests, I have removed those results from the results page.

The difference that this causes is that, when a meta tag is used, Firefox now detects the language for :lang (but not for font selection, just like for the HTTP test), and Safari also detects the language for :lang (it doesn't do font selection), even though Safari doesn't recognize the HTTP header declaration.

IE and Opera continue to not recognize the meta declaration at all.

I don't have a test for what happens if the meta tag declares several languages at once to be the default. I may add one using the model of the multiple-value-in-HTTP tests I have.

Cheers,
RI

============
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/



> -----Original Message-----
> From: Leif Halvard Silli [mailto:lhs@malform.no]
> Sent: 15 August 2008 14:24
> To: Richard Ishida
> Cc: www-international@w3.org
> Subject: Re: Updated tests & results: Language declarations
> 
> Richard Ishida 2008-08-15 13.06:
> 
> > http://www.w3.org/International/tests/sec-lang-decl-0
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/International/tests/results/results-lang-declaration
> >
> > These tests examine whether language information is available
> > for text processing when declared in various different ways.
> 
>    [...]
> 
> > I would welcome reports of findings for major browsers on Mac
> > and Linux platforms. [...]
> 
> 
> I tried to take the test which determines "whether language
> information is picked up from the Content Language meta element".
> 
> <http://www.w3.org/International/tests/sec-lang-decl-3>
> 
> The page says about the source code of that page that «A meta
> statement appears in the head element as follows: <meta
> http-equiv="Content-Language" content="ko"/>.»
> 
> However, when I examine the source code, then there isn't any such
>   meta element.
> 
> You also said that
> 
> > None of the user agents tested was able to detect language
> > declared in the meta tag
> 
> 
> However, this is not my experinse. Some UAs will detect the
> language of the meta tag. Some might even attach several languages
>   at once, as I remember, if the META specifies several languages.
> 
> But we can discuss this when the test cas is updated or clarified,
> in case I misunderstood something ...
> --
> leif halvard silli
Received on Friday, 15 August 2008 14:18:02 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 2 June 2009 19:17:18 GMT