Re: are there lots of URLs that have non-UTF-8 percent-encoded octets in them?

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:59:25 +0200
To: www-international@w3.org

Erik van der Poel wrote:

> the MSIE UTF-8 option is well-known, but I wonder
> how many users actually have it set to non-UTF-8.

Options in various browsers, I've no clue what they
mean.  What should I do with the IE UTF-8 option ?

Intutitively I'd pick "make it so", but can't tell
when there is a situation where disabling it helps.

Similar:  HTTP/1.1, disabled or enabled, apparently
IE uses HTTP/1.1.

Enable TLS, disable SSL2, hopefully that is a good
choice; at least "disable SSL2" had no unwanted
effects I'm aware of with a stoneage Netscape 4.

Once you found options that appparently do nothing,
or not what you expected, or where it is not clear
what the alternatives are this business degenerates
into some "trust me security by obscurity."

Now Firefox 2 tells me that I use some non-default
"universal-charset-detector".  I hope this is good,
and I never had any charset issue with FF2.  But I
have no idea who, when, why changed this setting...

 Frank