Re: URIs and i18n

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 02:21:21 +0200
To: www-international@w3.org

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Has this been considered? Are anyone proposing that? Should not
> use of fonts which clearly distinguish the different letters and
> scripts be adviced in these regards?

IDNA and IDNAbis tackle a part of this problem, they reduce
Unicode to case-insensitive NFKC letters, digits, and some
other code points.

Another part of the problem is supposed to be solved by the
DNS zone admins (root, TLD registries, etc.) in the form of
policies.

A third line of defense can be applications, at the moment
Firefox has a list of TLDs with no nonsense IDN policies.

After that you are on your own, or whatever you might use
to detect "malicious sites" (sites linking to SANS made it
on a list of "malicious sites" yesterday, because SANS had
links to some real malware for forensic studies).

Needless to say that such anti-phishing gimmicks also get
a good idea of your surfing, so I disabled that on my box.
The price for total security is IMO too high, YMMV.

 Frank