Re: Chinese language and emphasis

From: KUROSAKA Teruhiko <kuro@bhlab.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:29:23 -0800
To: www-international@w3.org

> I'm wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions for me. As I
> understand it Japanese doesn’t use italics as a form of emphasis, so
> using |<i>| tags around ideographic text is a big no no. Can anyone

Not necessarily.  Use of italic in Japanese text is rare but not wrong.

By the way, the <i> tag will no longer mean italic when the now draft HTML5
becomes the standard. Here's a quote from:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/#the-i
The i element should be used as a last resort when no other element is more
appropriate. In particular, citations should use the cite element, defining
instances
of terms should use the dfn  element, stress emphasis should use the em  element,
importance should be denoted with the strong element, quotes should be marked
up with the q element, and small print should use the small element.

Style sheets can be used to format i elements, just like any other element can be
restyled. Thus, it is not the case that content in i elements will necessarily
be italicised.
KUROSAKA Teruhiko ("Kuro"), San Francisco, California, USA