Re: [Comment on WS-I18N WD] indicating preferred date format

Felix Sasaki wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> Dan Chiba さんは書きました:
>>
>> Is this a valid example of indicating preferred date format?
>>
>> For an American user in the pacific timezone whose preferred medium
>> date format is "MMM dd, yyyy", should the XML representation look
>> like this?
>>
>> <i18n:international>
>> <i18n:locale>en-US</i18n:locale>
>> <i18n:tz>America/Los_Angeles</i18n:tz>
>> <i18n:preferences>
>> <ldml:dateFormatLength type="medium">
>> <ldml:dateFormat>
>> <ldml:pattern>MMM dd, yyyy</ldml:pattern>
>> </ldml:dateFormat>
>> </ldml:dateFormatLength>
>> </i18n:preferences>
>> </i18n:international>
>>
>> I am assuming Gregirian calendar is the default calendar system. i.e.
>> The above fragment is equivalent to this:
>>
>> <i18n:international>
>> <i18n:locale>en-US</i18n:locale>
>> <i18n:tz>America/Los_Angeles</i18n:tz>
>> <i18n:preferences>
>> <calendar type="gregorian">
>> <ldml:dateFormatLength type="medium">
>> <ldml:dateFormat>
>> <ldml:pattern>MMM dd, yyyy</ldml:pattern>
>> </ldml:dateFormat>
>> </ldml:dateFormatLength>
>> </calendar>
>> </i18n:preferences>
>> </i18n:international>
>>
>> This is an example of the clarification I would like in WS-I18N.
>
> the example looks reasonable to me. I'm only wondering why the
> <calendar> element is in no namespace.
Sorry, that is my simple oversight. I meant <ldml:calendar>.
> Btw., by "clarification" do you mean a MUST about the content of the
> i18n:preferences, a SHOULD, or a list of "best practices" e.g. for
> date formatting?
I just meant WS-I18N to explicitly specify how to indicate this (date
format) and other items. But in terms of the requirement level I think
all items under i18n:preferences should be MAY (or OPTIONAL).

Regards,
-Dan