Re: 2 many language tags for Norwegian

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 20:16:54 -0400
To: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Cc: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Gunnar Bittersmann <gunnar.bittersmann@web.de>, Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>, www-international@w3.org

Leif Halvard Silli scripsit:

> Let's say I was a Swiss German Language enthusiast, using Apache, with a
> site in Swiss German and English.  Main target audience: German
> speakers, 99,99% of them without 'gsw' enabled.

If you want to target German-speakers, write in Standard German.
Otherwise you are in the position of someone writing in Icelandic and
targeting Nynorsk users.  They won't have a clue.

> You may say I should not tag it as 'de', but can you say positively what
> I should I do then, to reach my audience? Teach the hundred millions of
> Germans how to insert 'gsw' into their browser?

Don't use language negotiation, but explicit links instead.

> > People in Germany (and Switzerland!), used to read German
> > every day, but rarely if ever seeing or reading Swiss German, have,
> > relatively speaking, much more difficulties. I'm Swiss, [...]
>
> I fail to see that this is a real argument against 'de-gsw'.

He really really doesn't want to see gsw even if it's available,
*even though* he speaks gsw natively.  The fallback is worse than useless.

--
Time alone is real                      John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
  the rest imaginary