Re: 2 many language tags for Norwegian

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:35:31 -0400
To: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Cc: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>, Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>, www-international@w3.org

Leif Halvard Silli scripsit:

> >Written gsw is relatively rare, mostly belles lettres.  The great bulk
> >of Swiss web pages in German use de with the CH orthography.
> Which doesn't take away my point, if I moderate myself to say that
> 'de-gsw' would have been fine. However, again, they can just tag their
> files in Apache as 'file.gsw.de' to be certain that tagging them as .gsw
> does not lead to people not getting the files.

I doubt it's much of a problem: people are unlikely to use language
negotiation to choose between gsw and de versions of pages.

> I still think that it would be fine with a "MacroFrisian-SubFrisian"
> mapping. It did not need to be obligatory - one could let authors choose
> between useing "SubFrisian" as an independent tag and mapping it to
> "MacroFrisian".

The various languages called "Frisian" simply don't meet the criteria
applicable to macrolanguages, any more than English and Low Saxon do,
despite the undisputed facts of history.

> That was what Sweden did to the territories bordering to the Copenhagen
> region. ;-) (The Skåne county.) Plus Norway has not stopped to mourn the
> loss of Härjedalen and Jämtland. :-D

Also known as Øst-Trøndelag. :-)

> True. Though the the Skåne district of Sweden shares some Danish aspects
> still.

I agree, although there are Swedes who are at pains to deny it, and claim
that Scanian is southern Swedish, not eastern Danish in linguistic character.

Man has no body distinct from his soul,                 John Cowan
for that called body is a portion of the soul           cowan@ccil.org
discerned by the five senses,                           http://www.ccil.org
the chief inlets of the soul in this age.  --William Blake