Re: 2 many language tags for Norwegian

Christophe Strobbe wrote:

> Language information is also used by speech synthesis software
> (e.g. screen readers), so whatever mechanism you use must be
> unambiguous for this type of software.

Yes, but maybe "must make sense" can replace "unambiguous" for
Leif's idea of allowing "no" and "nn" (or "no" and "nb") in a
document.  I'm not convinced that this idea is good, but it is
an interesting problem.

>> They already allow "less than one tag", killing NMTOKEN
>> for the desired xml:lang="" effect also in (X)HTML.

> I'm not aware of any speech synthesis software used by
> persons with disabilities that supports xml:lang.

That's not what I meant.  HTML 4 was limited to NMTOKEN, that
is precisely one non-empty language tag.  XML later allowed
xml:lang="" to indicate any "undefined language" situations
within a document.

But XHTML 1 was forced to stick to NMTOKEN, because it tries
to mirror HTML 4 as good as possible.  When HTML 4 drops this
limitation, then lang="" will be allowed in its HTML flavour
(in the XML flavour of HTML 5 it would be again xml:lang="").

 Frank