Re: 2 many language tags for Norwegian

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:51:40 +0200
To: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
CC: www-international@w3.org

John Cowan 2008-04-28 07.17:
> Leif Halvard Silli scripsit:
>
> > Just so it is noted: If a Norwegian user finds a book that is tagged as
> > "Norwegian", then the user can only guess what it means. No Norwegian
> > user will think that such a book has to be Bokmål, for instance.
>
> Understood.  But isn't it more *likely* to be so, just because there
> are more Bokmål books overall?

If you are only asking about what the probability about the book being
Bokmål, then of course.

> > And if that was the case: Why not allow two language tags for Norwegian
> > documents as well?
>
> There is no problem in principle with assigning a document more than one
> tag -- it's just that nobody does it.

HTML 4 says that "Whitespace is not allowed within the language-code."
Doesn't that contract your statment? Or was it not meant to talk about HTML?

Else, how do I assign the same file to two different languages in Apache?
--
leif halvard silli