Re: Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) in progress

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:13:38 +0200
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: 'Martin Duerst' <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, 'Jonathan Rosenne' <rosennej@qsm.co.il>, 'WWW International' <www-international@w3.org>, public-i18n-core@w3.org, 'W3C Offices' <w3c-office-pr@w3.org>

> Yes. My point was that even in English I have taken action to find a home
> page address that is more easily memorable and communicable than
> people.w3.org/rishida (which is not so complicated to start with, but
> sufficiently so to cause problems), so it is clear to me that URIs are not
> always opaque, and that furthermore being able to write them in your own
> language and script has got to be very helpful.

I agree. I'm saying two things.

People should not expect a full coverage of textual expression in DNS space,
since it is essentially an ID space similar to file names, not a real content
medium.

(this looks like a simplification but it isn't, DNS is a system with application
constraints (e.g. what the browser does), protocols contraints, bind
implementation constraints, registry server constraints, registrar commercial
constraints, ICANN policy constraints, etc.)

We're going to face some print/digital compatibility issues that we are
unprepared to deal with because of the predominance of the latin ascii subset in
today's exchanges (for everybody, not just latin based cultures). RFID will
solve that :)