Re: rfc4646. Some analysis code

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 15:56:17 -0500
To: Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com>
Cc: I18N <www-international@w3.org>

Dave Pawson scripsit:

> So I guess the admonishment is 'check there first'?

You need to check the Language Subtag Registry if you want to know
what a tag *means*, or if it's valid.  If you just care if it's
well-formed, or how to take it apart, then you don't need the LSR.

> And luckily they're fairly stable!

Completely stable.  No tag ever goes away completely, though some are
deprecated, and we are not able to add any new irregular tags either.

> Informative John. Thatnks. I'd like to add this to my page, but from
> what you say it will be dated (by 4646bis) pretty soon. What timescales
> please? Weeks or months?

Go ahead and add.  We have to wait at least until ISO puts forth the nexst
part of ISO 639 (language subtags), and then there will be the usual slow
IETF approval process.  4646 may be with us for two years or more.

--
Barry gules and argent of seven and six,        John Cowan
on a canton azure fifty molets of the second.   cowan@ccil.org