Re: language table for IDN

Martin Duerst wrote:
>At present, no. However, there is an understanding that sooner or
> later, these RFCs will have to be updated to allow characters from
> later Unicode versions.
> Any specific cases of actual needs for doing
> this would be appreciated; it is much easier to push something forward
> based on actual needs than based on "we'll have to do this eventually".

Some Indian Languages presently use format control characters  like Zero
Width Joiner  to form certain  commonly used characters in the language.
Since ZWJ (200D) is a prohibited character as per IDN related  standards (
Nameprep/Stringprep), we have proposed explicit encoding for such
characters. Some are already added to Unicode 5.0 ( Bengali Khanda TA) and
some others are in the pipeline ( 6 Malayalam Chillu characters). A
considerable number of words use these characters and I feel that revision
of the standards to accomodate these characters is an immediate necessity.

Regards

Sulochana

Scanned and protected by Email scanner