From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:21:25 -0400
To: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>
Cc: unicode@unicode.org, www-international@w3.org

Mark Davis scripsit:

> As I recall, the problem with XML 1.1 adoption was that XML 1.1 was
> not fully backwards compatible with XML 1.0: there were XML 1.0
> documents that were not valid XML 1.1.

In the sense that "XML 1.0" names a countably infinite set of abstract
objects, true; in the sense that "XML 1.0" names a set
of texts physically fixed in a tangible medium, I venture to doubt it.
Specifically, I doubt that any Real World XML 1.0 documents contained
any instances of U+007F through U+009F not as character references.

In exactly the same sense, Unicode 2.0 was not backward compatible with
Unicode 1.1, a fact which does not seem to have seriously impeded its

The issues with XML 1.1 were in fact political; I say no more.

> As for ZWJ/NJ - the original intent was for these to not make any
> semantic difference. There is a UTC action to collect cases where they
> are being used to make a clear semantic difference (eg XXX means "sea
> gull" and XX<ZWNJ>X means "republican"), so any feedback on such cases
> would be useful.

IIRC the leading case is the plural ending in Persian.  It's not just
a matter of a clear semantic difference:  there is no semantic difference
between "they're" and "theyre" in English, but the latter is unambiguously
wrong in the standard orthography.

If you have ever wondered if you are in hell,         John Cowan
it has been said, then you are on a well-traveled     http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
road of spiritual inquiry.  If you are absolutely     cowan@ccil.org
sure you are in hell, however, then you must be
on the Cross Bronx Expressway.          --Alan Feuer, NYTimes, 2002-09-20