Re: encoding languages and writing systems

From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@oucs.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:35:30 +0100
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
CC: www-international@w3.org

Chris Lilley wrote:
> Its interesting both for the way it reflects current work (eg, use of RFC 3066bis) and the way it seems to diverge from it (either I don't understand what they mean by a 'mapping', or else they propose character abuse and don't understand that XML has a single document character set)

The problem is, I assume, that they don't have decent editors which let
them write in classical Greek; so
they transliterate it using (eg) betacode or Perseus, but then *also*
want to display the
results as real Greek on screen or paper.   There is some mixup here
with the characters
encoded in the XML and the characters in fonts or whatever.

I bet 4 fours in a darkened room with a wet towel over the head and
Neel's company could
resolve the questions....

--
Sebastian Rahtz