encoding languages and writing systems

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:06:53 +0200
To: www-international@w3.org

Hello www-international,

My attention was recently drawn to this document, by the Center for Hellenic Studies in Washington:

Developing standards for encoding languages and writing systems in the editing of Greek and Latin texts
http://chs75.harvard.edu/projects/diginc/techpub/language-script

Its interesting both for the way it reflects current work (eg, use of RFC 3066bis) and the way it seems to diverge from it (either I don't understand what they mean by a 'mapping', or else they propose character abuse and don't understand that XML has a single document character set).

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG