Re: Bengali Locale Specific Data (RFC 3066)

At 21:25 06/06/01, John Cowan wrote:

>Goutam Kumar Saha scripsit:
>
>> Can we add locale specific data as  "bn-selet" for a dialect of Bengali
>> called "Selet" ?  Can we use   "bn-selet-BD" for Bengali dialect called
>> "Selet" in Bangladesh and "bn-selet-IN-AS" for Bengali dialect called
>> "Selet" in the state of Assam, India?
>
>The correct forms are bn-BD-selet and bn-IN-selet (no provision is
>made for parts of a country in language tags).

More strictly, this should read "no explicit provision is made for
parts of a country in language tags. The fact that two-letter codes
in non-initial positions are reserved for countries means that
'AS' cannot be used meaning the state of Assam, India. But it
should be possible to apply for another subtag, e.g. 'assam',
that conveys that meaning. I'm not totally sure whether that
subtag would have to come before the country, i.e.
     bn-selet-assam-in
which would seem somewhat strange, or whether it can come after, i.e.
     bn-selet-assam-in
Checking RFC3066bis at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltru-registry-14.txt
should give the answer (I'm currently off-line, sorry).

Regards,    Martin.