Re: Bengali Locale Specific Data (RFC 3066)

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 00:19:24 -0400
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Cc: www-international@w3.org

Martin Duerst scripsit:

> More strictly, this should read "no explicit provision is made for
> parts of a country in language tags. The fact that two-letter codes
> in non-initial positions are reserved for countries means that
> 'AS' cannot be used meaning the state of Assam, India. But it
> should be possible to apply for another subtag, e.g. 'assam',
> that conveys that meaning. I'm not totally sure whether that
> subtag would have to come before the country, i.e.
>      bn-selet-assam-in
> which would seem somewhat strange, or whether it can come after, i.e.
>      bn-selet-assam-in

Neither of these is possible.  But if both "selet" and "assam" are
defined as variant subtags, then you can write:

	bn-in-assam-selet
	bn-bd-selet

However, this is not necessary unless there is also Selet dialect in India
outside Assam.  If there is not, then bn-in-selet and bn-bd-selet suffice.

--
John Cowan    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan   <cowan@ccil.org>
    "Any legal document draws most of its meaning from context.  A telegram