RE: Web page layouts in different cultures - question from DIWG

For the record, some comments I made in response to Rotan's initial private
mail to myself:

One thing I would note is that Arabic and Hebrew pages are often mirrored
left to right. Compare, for example, http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/spanish/news/
and http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/arabic/news/

Vertically laid out text is still difficult to achieve, since the support
will come in CSS3, so that may become more prevalent later.  For an example
of a vertical page in Mongolian (which doesn't really work that well, but
may give you some ideas), see http://www.mondlib.com/index2.htm.  Mongolian
is naturally vertical in orientation, whereas Chinese, Japanese and Korean
can be read equally well horizontally. (This doesn't necessarily mean that
we should force them to write horizontally, of course.) Note that vertical
Mongolian text lines progress from left to right, the opposite of CJK.

RI

Richard Ishida
W3C

contact info: