RE: Web page layouts in different cultures - question from DIWG

Actually, as far as I know this is only IE, and only, as you say, when
dir="rtl" appears in the html tag.

Note that I've asked north african folks their opinions about this on a
number of occasions, and they have generally responded that the position of
the scrollbar should depend on the UI context, rather than the language of
the document content.

> Unfortunately neither HTML nor CSS support vertical layout.

CSS3 will provide this.  Note also that some vertical text support is
available using IE already (though I'm not recommending this be used until
standards exist, you can see an example at
http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/samples/japanese.html (select the
direction in the right hand column). Note how the text does not fill the
page vertically. )

RI

Richard Ishida
W3C