Re: Ameri-centric web forms: credit card forms, etc

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:39:19 -0700
To: "Chris Haynes" <chris@harvington.org.uk>,<www-international@w3.org>

At 12:53 AM 9/20/2004, Chris Haynes wrote:

>555 555 5555  has always worked for me!
>(OT note:  There was at one time a problem with audiences noting the phone
>numbers used in movies and dialling those numbers. The former 'Bell System'
>allocated '555' to Hollywood for use on-screen, and it will never be used as a
>real code. Watch US movies and TV shows carefully - it's still the area code
>they use.)

It's actually not the area code, but the next three digits that are of
Using a non-workable '555' there prevents people from trying the on-screen
in *their* area code.

There's at least one movie in which one of the characters attempts to prove
he's in the movie by noting that fact.

PS: A good source of address format information should be the CLDR (common
data repository) http://www.unicode.ord/cldr/ but I haven't checked whether
got around to adding that kind of information to the repository yet. Worth
They are constantly adding to what they collect.

Maybe the 555 should be assigned to a 'fictional' locale? ;-)