Re: faq suggestions

From: Jungshik Shin <jshin@i18nl10n.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:48:50 +0900
To: Tex Texin <tex@i18nguy.com>
CC: Jakub Friedl <kyknos@gmail.com>, www-international@w3.org

Tex Texin wrote:
> Jakub,
>
> The charset meta statement should go first. In fact it should be placed
> immediately after the <head> statement.

It's a good advice and I always do that way.

> Otherwise text in the page prior to the charset statement may not be decoded
> correctly.

However, as long as the encoding used is ASCII-compatible, it doesn't
matter much. I believe most user 'agents' look for 'meta' declaration
for charset and reparse the document from the beginning after
determining the encoding (assuming http C-T header doesn't have charset
parameter)

Jungshik