Re: JSP page directive contentType overriden by Apache tomcat?

From: KUROSAKA Teruhiko <kuro@bhlab.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 11:58:06 -0700
To: www-international@w3.org

All,
Sorry for my poor analysis about META.  I agree META won't work.

I see, so it's setLocale() that implicitly sets charset.
That reminded me of my surprise when I read the servlet 2.3
spec draft for the first time two years ago.  I wasn't
comfortable with the idea of using  the locale to determine
the charset.  I voiced this opinion to the spec lead
but it was too late.

Anyway, it makes sense that flushing before setLocale would
fix this problem.  But I still don't understand why the
generated Java code from the JSP with
"contentType=text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" can include
this line:
     response.setContenttype("text/html; charset=UTF-8")
as Jungshik indicated.

This is the result of static compilation and there is
no way for JSP compiler to predict that a locale
that should be mapped to UTF-8 will be used at the
execution time.  Any idea?

--
KUROSAKA ("Kuro") Teruhiko, San Francisco, California, USA
Internationalization Consultant --- now accepting new projects!