AW: About UTF-8, XHTML and Character Encoding

From: Paul Deuter <PaulD@plumtree.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:44:55 -0500
To: www-international@w3.org

You may use literal UTF-8 characters.

Von: AmirBehzad Eslami [mailto:behzad@delphiarea.com]
Gesendet: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 10:08 AM
An: www-international@w3.org
Betreff: About UTF-8, XHTML and Character Encoding

E-Greetings Every One,

I'm developing a web site using XHTML in Farsi (persian - 'fa'). The page
encoded in UTF-8 using the following syntax in XHTML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
rg/1999/xhtml>xhtml" xml:lang="fa-IR">

The web page contains non US-ASCII characters such as Farsi and Arabic
My question is:

Should I use "Character References" while writting the content in an XHTML
(UTF-8) web page?
Or It is valid to use "Literal UTF-8" characters? (I mean it is not
necessary to define a character using Numeric Character Reference)

Thanks in advance,