About UTF-8, XHTML and Character Encoding

From: AmirBehzad Eslami <behzad@delphiarea.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:38:11 +0330
To: <www-international@w3.org>
E-Greetings Every One,

I'm developing a web site using XHTML in Farsi (persian - 'fa'). The page encoded in UTF-8 using the following syntax in XHTML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

The web page contains non US-ASCII characters such as Farsi and Arabic characters.
My question is:

Should I use "Character References" while writting the content in an XHTML (UTF-8) web page?
Or It is valid to use "Literal UTF-8" characters? (I mean it is not necessary to define a character using Numeric Character Reference)

Thanks in advance,
Behzad