Re: The fate of Hebrew texts with Hyphen-Minus instead of Maqaf

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:44:53 -0400
To: "Addison Phillips [wM]" <aphillips@webmethods.com>
Cc: bidi@prognathous.mail-central.com, Jony Rosenne <rosennej@qsm.co.il>, "'Mark Davis'" <mark.davis@jtcsv.com>, www-international@w3.org, Shmuel Yair <yshmuel@microsoft.com>

Addison Phillips [wM] scripsit:

> It may be the case that the character sequence isn't optimal, but I think
> that is a quibble at best. Users generally do not care what the character
> sequence in memory is, only with the results on the display (the graphemes).

I agree with most of what you are saying, but not this bit.  Word processing/
typesetting users may only care about appearance, but people who have to
search or sort or count or otherwise *process* text do care very much about
(the consequences of) the encoding.

--
Do what you will,                       John Cowan
   this Life's a Fiction                jcowan@reutershealth.com