Re: Form submission when successful controls contain characters outside the submission character set

From: KUROSAKA Teruhiko <kuro@bhlab.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:41:08 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: www-international@w3.org

Ian,

 > If you have a form on a page that is ISO-8859-1, and the data that is
 > submitted (either as GET or as POST) from that form contains characters
 > outside the ISO-8859-1 repertoire, what should the UA do?

Is this a question about the real behavor of the
popular browsers, or are you developing a browser?

Assuming the latter, the browser is not obligated to
send the input data in the same charset as the form itself.

The browser can chose to send the input data in UTF-8, as Martin
suggested already.  It should put charset=UTF-8 in
Content-Type header.  I don't think use of character
entity is a right solution because the character entity
is a syntax used in HTML/XML and the data returned from
the form is not itself in HTML or XML.

Regards,
--
T. "Kuro" Kurosaka, San Francisco, California