Re: Form submission when successful controls contain characters outside the submission character set

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:23:24 +0000 (UTC)
To: "bidi@prognathous.mail-central.com" <bidi@prognathous.mail-central.com>
Cc: "www-international@w3.org" <www-international@w3.org>

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, bidi@prognathous.mail-central.com wrote:

>> Is there another possible solution?
>
> How about using HTML entities and providing the means to interpret them
> even when the document is not HTML?

How would you tell the difference between an "entity" and the literal
string "&#12345;" entered by the user?

This is not an idle question; on _many_ forms I use, e.g. Web developer
forums, bug databases, utility CGIs, etc, I will be entering the string
"&#12345;" many times a day when discussing HTML. If those entities are
treated as single characters, all kinds of problems will result.

So no, IMHO, that's not a workable solution either.