Re: Form submission when successful controls contain characters outside the submission character set

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:37:53 -0400
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, www-international@w3.org

Hello Ian,

[We may want to move this discussion to a more spec-oriented list.]

For the moment, I think that the best behavior would be to put up
a dialog and tell the user that some characters could not be
submitted. If the form is in iso-8859-1, for example, the chances
are very high that the back end logic (or something in between) is
also limited to iso-8859-1.

The mid-term solution is UTF-8, for example as described at

The long-term solution is XForms.

Regards,    Martin.