RE: question

Hi Richard,

Although I have limited experience using WEFT, I do have intimate knowledge
of what it is (being one of the developers behind it), so I thought I
provide some insight.

WEFT is a tool that is used to prepare font data for IE on Windows. It does
not show text. It does not shape glyphs. It does not do anything but prepare
font data (eot files). It's the browser/os that does glyph shaping. WEFT can
not perform any tasks whatsoever at the time when a browsers shows a web
page. The WEFT application is never used directly by the browser. (The
situation is quite different with our other solutions though. People
sometime get them mixed-up).

There are no problems creating web fonts for Arabic text, as long as you use
a current version of IE on a current version of Windows. The produced font
data contains all the shaping rules that is needed to form correct Arabic,
if the tool is used correctly.

Some of the problems you can expect with non-current versions of Windows and
IE are:

Zero width characters (e.g. various diacritical marks) may be spaced
incorrectly in IE 5.0. The effect can be seen when selecting text in IE 5.5
as well.

Win95, Win98, Win98 SE, and WinME uses a system dll (LAMA.DLL) which is not
able to handle more complex Arabic fonts/texts, for example Urdu, Sindhi,
Pashto, etc. The result is typically system crashes or hangs.
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/arabicdev/OfficeXP/kBase/offXPwith9x.asp

Regards,
em2 Solutions
Michael Jansson