RE: question

From: by way of Martin Duerst <Tim.Foster@Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:08:29 -0400
To: www-international@w3.org

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 17:44, Russ Rolfe wrote:
 > So with WEFT, you are assured that if the fonts you need are not on
 > the viewers system that they will be loaded when they visit your page.

... assuming all your site visitors are using Microsoft Internet

None of the demo pages at
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/default.htm appear
correctly in Mozilla Firebird 0.6 running on Solaris 9 for example

[ though they do mention that those demos are IE specific ]

Mozilla Firebird will happily display Arabic, Cyrillic and Hebrew text
quite well from a Unicode web page such as :

on my platform, at least, without using any non-standard extensions.

As Michael Jansson correctly pointed out in his comprehensive mail
earlier on this thread, Unicode support varies by platform, so it's a
question of how much you're willing to limit your audience to a
particular platform (or release) to make your life as a web-designer

You may find more useful stuff at :

Finally, you might also want to consider section 508 compliance before
choosing any method for displaying text, as it could impact how
accessible your web site is.

Tim Foster - Translation Technology Engineer, CNP eProductization,
Sun Microsystems Inc.