Re: Shift_JIS , UTF-16, iso-2022-jp

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 01:51:06 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org, "Vinod Balakrishnan" <vinod@adobe.com>
CC: etienne.kroger@welocalize.com, "'Diaz, Michelle (Bolton) (by way of Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>)'" <mdiaz@husky.ca>

On Thursday, November 7, 2002, 6:17:58 PM, Vinod wrote:

VB> First of all UTF-16 is not a recommended encoding for the
VB> wire/internet.

How so? Its one of the two encodings that all XML processors must
support. For Japanese text, a kanji character is two bytes in UTF-16
and three bytes in UTF-8 so, for Japanese, UTF-16 is clearly the
optimal encoding.

VB> In case, if the page is encoded in UTF-16, there can be endian
VB> issues also.

That is what the BOM is for, no?.

>> I'm hoping someone can help me. We send out html files for Japanese
>> translation. These files are returned with the encoding:
>>
>> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-16">
>> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Language" CONTENT="jp">
>>
>> With this encoding, I cannot view the Japanese fonts, only box
>> characters.

Can you view Japanese characters in a plain text document?  In other
words, (starting at the 'is the computer plugged in' end of the
diagnostic chain, I know) you do have at least one Japanese font on
your system?

What OS?