From: Barry Caplan [mailto:bcaplan@i18n.com]
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 10:19 PM
To: souravm; www-international@w3.org
Subject: Re: Problem in showing Japanise Wave dash

We had a problem with that character once too...I don't recall the
details OTOMH but I think there was a faulty conversion routine at some
middleware layer.

Can you describe more specifically the client and server configuration,
including whether or not the char passes through javascript or any other
code on either side (such as JVM, ASP, DB drivers, or anything else you
can think of...). We had issues with Japanese characters at all those
layers at some point, and the Wave Dash was definitely on the list.

It may have also been that there was a related or compatibility zone
character and not all conversions were behaving as expected. We had some
like that too, and your ability to display it correctly in SJIS makes me
think that might be it....the tricky part is finding where exactly the
conversion goes bad, hence the exercise above.

Barry Caplan
www.i18n.com

At 12:02 AM 11/9/2002 +0900, souravm wrote:
 >Hi All,
 >
 >I'm facing some problem in displaying a Japanese character, WAVE DASH
($Be`W
 >(B , in Combo box. This Japanese character is being displayed properly
as normal HTML text but it does not display in Combo box for UTF-8
encoding (getting displayed as box).
 >The character is displayed properly if we change the encoding to
Shift-JIS.