Re: LDAP and Unicode

From: A. Vine <andrea.vine@sun.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:25:45 -0800
To: souravm <souravm@infy.com>
CC: www-international@w3.org
Sourav,

LDAP v3 requires that all text data be in UTF-8.  What language the data is in
is a separate matter, and can be indicated with a lang- option on the attribute.

Depending on which version of the Netscape Directory Server (now the iPlanet
Directory Server from Sun), the server might be supporting LDAP v2 or LDAP v3.
You can put UTF-8 data into an LDAP v2 directory, but the tools may not
necessarily process it, nor understand lang- options.

Otherwise, I don't think there's any way to dictate the overall charset of a
directory, in contrast to a data base.

Andrea