Updating UTF-8 data into SQL Server 2000 using ASP.net

From: Rajan Nepal <rajan@calsoftsys.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 18:36:58 +0900
To: www-international@w3.org
Hi All,

I am trying to update a Japanese field to SQL Server 2000 database from a
web form to use it in other pages. However, when I type Japanese in the
field and submit the form, the data does not update properly. When the form
posts, I can see the Japanese text being submitted in the next page, but not
properly encoded to the database. I see ?????? in the database table and
also when I retrieve the data later.  It used to work fine when I used OLEDB
connection with ASP. But does not seem to get it work using Sqlclient in
ASP.net. However, I can retrieve the Japanese text if I manually enter it in
the SQL server tables.

Some info on the environment:
1. ASP.NET in Wndows 2000 Server
2. Microsoft SQL 2000 Server running in Windows 2000 Server
3. Using UTF-8 meta tag in ALL the pages.
4. Saving all pages in UTF-8 format

Could somebody please help me with this. Thanks in advance.

Rajan