Re: locales

On the web, there is one general kind of identifier. It's called
an URI (see RFC 2396). Using URIs to identify 'locales', 'preferences',
or whatever else you call it is most general and flexible. This allows
to have downloadable info on the details (e.g. in XML as Mark already
proposed) or to just use the URI as an identifier that is resolved
separately on each system.

Some pointers to stuff that is somewhat similar and may be
used as a starting point:

- CC/PP: A general capabilities/preferences mechanism
   http://www.w3.org/Mobile/CCPP/,
   http://www.w3.org/TR/CCPP-struct-vocab/
- Unicode Technical Report #22: Character Mapping Markup Language
   (CharMapML) http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr22/
   This can be used for the 'encoding' part of the locale
- A Notation for Character Collections for the WWW
   http://www.w3.org/TR/charcol/
   This may not be necessary for the locale, but shows (in sometimes
   a bit academic detail) how to deal with combinations of information
   from different places and fallbacks in the case of incomplete info.

Regards,   Martin.