Re: locales

When I at one time told that I am looking at religions etc that was for
global personalization. I am trying to determine what user data could be
relevant in other locales that isn't even considered at all in US and/or
European applications. This is very application dependent and should not
be included in basic locale information. I agree, with XML we could easily
mix locale identifiers with localized personalization data, as I have seen
in the HR-XML mailing list.

For the bare minimum to identify a user's locale I am actually trying to
use as few parameters as possible. I even consider language as a user's
personal preference and not as part of a locale. The same goes for
currency, most of the time global applications use their own rules and
multiple currencies, not even to mention the euro issues.

I looked at the ICU link, but it doesn't include enough depth for
commercial requirements (yet?). I do see a split in the requirements, the
nitty-gritty calculations should not be part of ICU, but in a separate
library, as Aruna recommended. ICU could cover the locale specific
problems of formatting and displaying the currency values, currently a big
problem in Java. I have to do more studies to give you more feedback on
what I think about the ICU plans. Our team here pulled currency
calculations out of the i18n requirements and put them into global US
business requirements. Formatting and display remained part of i18n.

David

"Mark Davis" <mark@macchiato.com>
11/08/01 10:16 PM