RE: valid locales ---> was Re: bilingual websites

Peter -

Without claiming that the existing locale functionality is implemented
well, I will say that it is incomplete at best. And it would remain
incomplete even if it fully and exactly duplicated the OS regional settings.

I say this because there is a huge assumption that is never clearly stated
- that one "locale" is sufficient at any given time. But it is easy to
conceive of an app (but difficult to implement) where some elements use one
locale, and other elements use another. In particular the text of the GUI
widgets (as it were) may support one locale and the data that is
manipulated using those widgets another.

E.g, in an accounting program for North America, I might need the GUI to be
either English or French, and the functionality to support US or Canadian
style accounting. Surely at least 3 of the 4 pairs of those 2 items would
be required for the product (French/US being the unlikely one).

In this sense, I call the 2 locales "orthogonal" to each other. Once I made
the conceptual leap from one locale to 2 orthogonal ones, it is easy to
imagine that there may be n orthogonal locales, where n >=1, for any given
application.

Once we all make this leap, we can start making useful decisions about how
to present useable choices to the user that reflect the true requirements
of the app and the user, not the incorrect and/or incomplete assumptions of
the OS.

Barry