RE: locales

From: Yves Arrouye <yves@realnames.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 12:53:10 -0800
To: "'Tex Texin'" <texin@progress.com>, David_Possin@i2.com
Cc: cbrown@xnetinc.com, www-international@w3.org, www-international-request@w3.org
> Mentioning time zones will, I am sure, insure a blast from Carl. (;-) I
> look forward to it.)
> One point is that a locale may include more than one zone (e.g. US goes
> from EST, CST PST) so is ambiguous, and we may go down the trail of the
> changes to daylight savings time may vary within a locale.

The interesting thing about time zones is that they also changed over
time... A random example from another email I received today:

	The official history from some well-research Unix timezone work has
Nepal being 5:41:16 ahead of GMT until 1920, then 5:30 until 1986, and now
5:45 ahead, which is closer to their older value.

See the TZ package if you want to open this particular topic...

YA