Re: bilingual websites

From: Thierry Sourbier <webmaster@i18ngurus.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 14:53:20 +0100
To: "Chris Lilley" <chris@w3.org>
Cc: <www-international@w3.org>
> > Therefore in the present
> > case the ACCEPT_LANGUAGE will be useless in most of the cases.
>
> Not so. Besides, UI localization and content localization are different.

Sorry my email was not clear. My assumption is that that in Chris' case only
a tiny fraction of the Welsh user base will indeed use a browser generating
an HTTP request asking for a Welsh page (The method I presented took
actually those lucky users into account). The rest of the Welsh users will
have HTTP request asking for English... that's not much help.

This situation occurs because it is rare that Welsh is set as the factory
default preferred language (unless the vast majority of Welsh speakers use
browsers such as Opera :). It would be different for languages where
localized browser are widely available and used (because they have the
proper factory settings).

Cheers,
Thierry

www.i18ngurus.com - Open Internationalization Resources Directory