Re: ZWJ+ZWNJ+ZWJ (Was: ZWJ and Turkish)

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:13:04 -0400 (EDT)
To: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com> (by way of Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>)
CC: www-international@w3.org
John Hudson scripsit:

> >Right, but just make sure that ZWJ+ZWNJ+ZWJ (the worst thing in Unicode,
> >as I call it) also works on your Arabic fonts...
>
> Presuming that the result here is that the final ZWJ should override the
> ZWNJ, the easiest way to handle this would be to put a pre-emptive lookup
> in the OT Character Composition/Decomposition <ccmp> feature:

No, that is not at all what it means.  ZWJ+ZWNJ+ZWJ causes shaping but
breaks any possible ligature.  This works because each actual letter is
adjacent to a ZWJ, causing it to be shaped appropriately, but the
presence of a ZWNJ prevents ligaturing.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
Please leave your values        |       Check your assumptions.  In fact,