Re: ZWJ+ZWNJ+ZWJ (Was: ZWJ and Turkish)

From: <Peter_Constable@sil.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:27:59 -0500
To: www-international@w3.org
>No, that is not at all what it means.  ZWJ+ZWNJ+ZWJ causes shaping but
>breaks any possible ligature.  This works because each actual letter is
>adjacent to a ZWJ, causing it to be shaped appropriately, but the
>presence of a ZWNJ prevents ligaturing.

And I think Roozbeh considers it the worst thing in Unicode since it's an
unfortunately awkward way to achieve that end. For example, if there had
been a ZWNL character added to Unicode, then presumably A1 + ZWNL + A2
(where A1 and A2 are Arabic connecting characters that would normally
ligate) will appear as connected but not ligated. Unicode does not have a
ZWNL, however, but ZWJ + ZWNJ + ZWJ achieves exactly the same effect.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>